My Coding Experience with an AI Assistant

 

AI is real and it is here. Its implications for knowledge workers will be enormous, including you.

There is no escaping AI in our line of work. Therefore, while building the new version of Gitora PL/SQL Editor, I’ve fully embraced it.

The last few months have been the most interesting, rewarding and productive period of my professional life. I’ve practically stopped using Google search and StackOverflow, two websites I’d consider essential to my work just a few months ago.

I’ve coded the Gitora PL/SQL debugger virtually without reading a single line of documentation about how to build debuggers in Java or the specifics of how to build a Java debugger for PL/SQL. I am not even sure if there is any documentation available about building a PL/SQL debugger on the Internet.

I just talked about these topics with ChatGPT and analyzed, used the code snippets it produced.

All CSS and almost all of the run-of-the-mill code I needed to write for the debugger and the Gitora AI Assistant for SQL and PL/SQL (oh the irony!) is either written by ChatGPT or GitHub CoPilot. Heck, I even had the the previous sentenced grammatically verified with ChatGPT. I got it right in my first attempt and ChatGPT congratulated me.

After using an AI Assistant for a few months, I cannot imagine coding without it.  I view it an amazing junior pair programmer I am working with.

Although useful, ChatGPT and GitHub CoPilot are not as great as they can be while I am working with the Oracle database because they don't know the objects in the schema I am working in.


A context aware AI Assistant which knows about the tables, their relationships and other objects in the database would be immensely helpful. So I decided to build one. Gitora Editor 2.0 is my second iteration of a schema-aware AI Assistant.


If you think this is interesting and useful, you can download the Gitora Editor from this link. I'd appreciate any feedback. This whole thing is pretty new and I am interested in knowing how you are using the Gitora AI Assistant and how you think I can make it better.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Web Based PL/SQL Editor

Using Git with PL/SQL in a Shared Development Database

PL/SQL Editor with AI Assistant